On Aug 26, 2020, the US Environmental protection agency (EPA) has released its Interim Final list of businesses that are subjected to fees paid for the twenty chemicals that are termed as high priority for risk evaluation under the Toxic substances control Act.

Clean Air Act of 1970 (US) requires California Air Resources Board to regulate consumer products for achieving the maximum feasible volatile organic compound (VOC) reduction and to improve Consumer Products Regulation transparency, enforceability, and effectiveness. So, CARB drafted the regulatory proposal for VOC Reductions for the following consumer products. This proposal will be open for public comments on the changes.

a) Manual Aerosol Air Freshener

● Combine the already existing categories single and double phase aerosol air fresheners into “Manual Aerosol Air Freshener” and sets the VOC standard limit as 10% by 2023 and 5% by 2027.

● Plan to create three new Aerosol Air freshener categories Automatic Aerosol Air Freshener – 30% VOC Standard Concentrated Aerosol Air Freshener – 15% by 2023 & 10% by 2027 Total Release Air Freshener – 25% VOC Standard

b) Aerosol Crawling Bug Insecticide

Already existing VOC Standard value 15% for Aerosol Crawling Bug Insecticide will be reduced to 6% VOC Standard value by January 1, 2030.

Reference link: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/


If this regulation is applicable to you and you are interested in knowing more about this topic and available solutions, then schedule a free consult with our experts.